Pollution, the greatest environmental risk for health according to the World Health Organization, also attacks the skin. Not only does pollution, especially atmospheric pollution, cause it to age prematurely, but it also exposes it to numerous skin disorders.
Human exposure to air pollution both outdoors, especially in cities, and indoors causes the premature death of 6.5 million people worldwide. At European level, the WHO estimates the death toll at 600,000 annually. And in France, Public Health France announces 48,000. Today 92% of the world's population lives in cities whose air quality does not meet WHO standards. But what is pollution made of to be so aggressive?
The different pollutants
Pollutants are grouped into three categories
Ozone, the most dangerous, which is between the ground and 10 kilometers in altitude, mixes with UV and vapors to form a fog. Sulfur dioxide, invisible but recognizable by its very acrid smell, comes from industries including the combustion of coal. Nitrogen oxide and dioxide emitted by the combustion of fuels and mainly diesel, two gases which form a layer of fog filled with fine particles and Ozone. Finally, carbon monoxide which is transformed into carbon dioxide, colorless and odorless, produced by the combustion of organic matter (gas, coal, fuels, wood).
UV emitted by the sun, Infra-Red from natural light and especially blue light from the screens of tablets, smartphones and computers.
Fine particles, of very small size, resulting from soot emanating from the combustion of coal, wood, fuels as well as all other dust released by the wear of car tires, building activities, etc. … Volatile compounds that escape from different sources such as formaldehyde, harmful carbocyclic hydrocarbons generated by engines, spark plugs, cigarette smoke.
External pollution and internal pollution
Air pollution is absolutely everywhere and attacks people 24 hours a day.
• External pollution
This pollution is significant in cities, on major highways but also in less urbanized regions close to factories or in rural and agricultural regions. It is estimated that urban dust is made up of more than 200 toxic chemicals such as heavy metals, pesticides, hydrocarbons and fine particles.
• Internal pollution
Housing, offices, schools, means of transport, we spend more than 85% of the day in these enclosed spaces loaded with internal pollution. The air is loaded with harmful particles brought by the outside air with, in addition, fumes from paints, varnishes, tobacco, cleaning products, dust mites, combustion appliances, heating, building materials. Indoor air is 8 times more polluted than outdoor air. The OQAL (Observatory of indoor air quality in France) estimates that indoor air quality is poor in 80% of housing and 34% of tertiary premises.
The consequences of pollution on health
The impact of pollution on the body is indisputable. It would be the third cause of death in France after tobacco and alcohol. Residents of cities with heavy air pollution are particularly at risk of heart disease, respiratory disease and lung cancer. Asthmatics, especially children, are more prone to attacks when the air is very polluted.
The consequences of pollution on the skin
The skin is on the front line against pollution. It bears the full brunt of the aggression of the pollutants that adhere to its surface. Some can penetrate to the cells of the epidermis. They damage the barrier function of the skin and its hydrolipidic film. This pollution, to which is added the effect of UV and blue light, leads to dehydration, oxidation, accelerated aging and the appearance of spots and imperfections. Indeed, this attack on the environment of the skin damages the proper functioning of cells, in particular the metabolism of keratinocytes in the epidermis.
This imbalance triggers an inflammatory process that mobilizes the immune system in the skin, which becomes more sensitive and more irritable. She is aging much faster. Beyond redness and dryness, the aggression of pollutants leads to wrinkles, fine lines, dullness, spots and loss of firmness. Added to this is "clogging" of the pores and oxidation of the sebum, which causes blackheads, blemishes, pimples and acne breakouts.
This exacerbated biological process, which causes redness, itching and stinging, can also trigger or increase certain dermatological diseases such as atopic dermatitis, eczema, acne and psoriasis.
How to protect the skin from pollution
Faced with this daily aggression day and night, certain actions are necessary:
Morning and evening of the skin with gentle formulas that perfectly eliminate particles on the surface of the epidermis while preserving the balance, pH and skin microbiota. In the NACRE ECLAT range from BLUE SKINCARE, we recommend Metamorphosis Balm and Milky Micellar Water: they gently cleanse and remove make-up from the skin thanks to the presence of non-foaming but nevertheless effective cleansing agents. Ultra-soft and respectful of the skin barrier, they are both enriched with active Nacre powder promoting skin regeneration and strengthening the stratum corneum and also with pre and postbiotics to maintain a balanced skin microbiota.
• Cosmetic treatmentscapable of moisturizing the skin while forming a protective shield on the surface. Their vitamins compensate for the oxidation of skin structures and their regenerating active ingredients repair the damage. Certain active ingredients, such as brown algae protect the skin from the exposome. In the NACRE ECLAT range from BLUE SKINCARE, we recommend the Regenerating Moisturizing Cream, a real ultra-hydrating shield care that regenerates and protects the skin from external aggressions. Enriched with active Nacre powder which promotes skin regeneration and strengthens the skin barrier and also with anti-free radical and antioxidant brown algae, the skin is better equipped to defend itself against external aggressions.
• An anti-pollution power supplyrich in fresh fruits and vegetables to provide antioxidants. Without forgetting fatty fish and green tea for omega 3 as well as vegetable oils (flax, grape seed, olive, walnut) for omega 3 but also omega 6 to ensure the fluidity of cell membranes. In the NACRE ECLAT range from BLUE SKINCARE, we recommend the Skin Perfecting Food Supplement to complete your beauty routine and thus obtain radiant and more resistant skin. Ultra-concentrated in active Nacre, it also contains a pre and probiotic complex to rebalance the intestinal microbiota, hyaluronic acid to maintain skin hydration and elasticity. Rich in vitamin C and zinc, it is antioxidant and contributes to the normal formation of collagen for plumper skin.
• Ventilate regularly to renew the air preferably in the morning and thus avoid ozone peaks.
• Favor depolluting indoor plants such as chlorophytum and ficus.
• Avoid candles, air fresheners and incense sticks
What effects does pollution have on the skin?
Pollution damages the skin at different levels. It unbalances the pH, the skin microbiota and modifies the protective hydrolipidic film. The skin's barrier function is no longer as effective, which leads to dehydration and a dull complexion. The oxidation of skin structures explains the appearance of fine lines and brown spots, the alteration of collagen and elastin fibers. Finally, pollution makes the skin much more sensitive and greatly promotes acne.
How can I protect my skin from pollution?
With a cosmetic treatment that forms a protective film on the surface and provides deeper antioxidant vitamins, moisturizing and regenerating active ingredients. Without forgetting a twice-daily cleaning essential to eliminate all the polluting particles agglutinated on the outermost layer of the skin and which asphyxiate it.
Why do I look so awful, is it the pollution on my skin?
Yes, pollution clogs the skin, asphyxiates it and slows down its proper functioning.
Cell renewal is disturbed, the pH and the microbiota are modified. The protective function and the cutaneous immune defenses are weakened. The skin becomes thinner and dehydrated. The complexion becomes dull.
A radiant complexion goes through a reinforced skin barrier, capable of protecting the skin from external aggressions.
Find a new skin with NACRE ÉCLAT.I'll buy it!